National Strategy for In-Space Servicing, Assembly, and Manufacturing Released
On April 4, 2022, the White House released the In-Space Servicing, Assembly, and Manufacturing (ISAM) National Strategy. The document outlines how the United States will support and stimulate government, academic, and commercial ISAM capability development.
View the strategy at whitehouse.gov (PDF)
ISAM capabilities include:
- Servicing: the in-space inspection, life extension, repair, or alteration of a spacecraft after its initial launch;
- Assembly: the construction of space systems in space using pre-manufactured components; and
- Manufacturing: the transformation of raw or recycled materials into components, products, or infrastructure in space.
The strategy outlines six strategic goals to realize the benefits of ISAM capabilities:
- Advance ISAM research and development;
- Prioritize expanding scalable ISAM infrastructure;
- Accelerate the emerging ISAM commercial industry;
- Promote international collaboration and cooperation;
- Prioritize environmental sustainability; and
- Inspire the future space workforce.