This page provides links to the most current regulatory text in the Electronic Code of Federal Regulations (e-CFR). The e-CFR incorporates all of the individual export control rule changes announced in the Federal Register. For links to the Federal Register notices, see Space Export Control Reform.
- State Department – International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR)
- Commerce Department – Export Administration Regulations (EAR)
Plain Language Guidebook
In November 2017, the Office of Space Commerce and the FAA Office of Commercial Space Transportation published the second edition of their Introduction to U.S. Export Controls for the Commercial Space Industry.
The guidebook provides basic information to help commercial space organizations, especially emerging entrepreneurial firms, considering business in the international market. It is intended to serve as a starting point in the preparation for the export control process.
The publication offers plain language explanations of:
- Satellite export controls
- Export control reform
- How the control lists work
- How to apply for a license or use a license exemption and
- Ensuring compliance after export authorization.
The Office of Space Commerce thanks the State Department, the DOC Bureau of Industry and Security, and TriVector Services, Inc., for their assistance in developing the guidebook.